Tuesday, March 22, 2011

MacBook Pro 17 v. Alienware M17x

We are experimenting with a new form of Social Media. Part of this project requires that we build a studio and start working with some really cool video production equipment. A video mixer, signal processors, sweet HD cameras, and some production software...all of which requires the use of a MacBook Pro.

This is the first time in 11 years that I have needed to use a Mac as my daily driver. Back then I was working with a friend of mine on database creation using FileMaker 4 (I think?). Furthermore, I have had some experience using a Mac in a recording studio (audio). However, I never really saw the appeal. To me, PCs could do everything that a Mac can do, only cheaper and they could perform more functions at once.

Wow, things have changed! I have been working with this sleek aluminium monster for a few weeks now and have been really impressed with how well it can perform. It's fast, relatively light for a 17", and incredibly quiet. With my background in Adobe Premier, learning Final Cut Studio has been a breeze and there are lots of auxiliary programs to give our videos some added flavor.

So how does it stack up against a PC? I own an Alienware M17x with a quad-core processor, dual Nvidia graphics cards, and 8GBs of RAM. This thing is a beast. It also weighs 14 lbs! Its loud, extremely fast, multi-tasks like an air traffic controller, and, did I mention...it's 14 lbs! The battery is almost entirely useless and the charger is a huge cumbersome mess. With all of its creature discomforts, the Alienware is incredibly powerful and out specs the MacBook Pro in every way.

The Mac starts up in 35 seconds; my M17x takes about a minute and a half. Apple has also done a great job with program start-ups which seem to begin as soon as I click on them. The programs them selves are a little difficult to navigate through when it comes to personalizing the settings, but, that is probably because I am still learning the Mac OS. It seems like the Alienware is able to multi-task and negotiate priorities better when I am working on more than one thing at a time.

However, when I'm in the studio, the MacBook far outperforms my M17x. I need it to handle one task: encode an HD video stream in the highest fidelity possible. Nothing else is allowed to intrude on that responsibility. This is where Apple shines and the very nature of the Windows OS is it's undoing. I think Windows, and PCs by default, are so good at multi-tasking they loose focus when it comes to working on a singular assignment.

So far, I'm really enjoying the progress that Apple has made in their product line. It has worked well for me and it's been very user-friendly. My only complaint is the price tag. A well equipped Macbook will run you $3000 plus the software. My Alienware cost me $2200 and had many more customizable features.

I am also very fortunate in that the IT department here at Logical Choice Technologies is very well versed on both machines. We have been blessed with our own Super Genius Bar and they are always prepared when we break anything with a microchip in it. Thanks Guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment